Thursday, December 18, 2014

Kitchen Fun

So I tried a couple new things with dinner tonight. The first was some balsamic pan-fried potatoes inspired by The Frugal Gourmet. They were so fabulous that I could eat them all day.

I used red potatoes, which were cubed and then marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and rosemary. I then added in some bacon grease for the pan-frying process. Easy and delicious, I will definitely be making these again. 






Plus, look at that beautiful browning enhanced by the balsamic vinegar. They turned out gorgeous!

Next, I attempted an orange ginger glaze for some salmon. I don't have much experience with glazes, and to be perfectly honest, I let it boil over, which is a quick, but super inefficient, way to reduce it. Not to mention the mess I get to clean off my stove....but hey, discovery requires experimentation

Also, we're not exactly talking those beautiful red salmon steaks from the ocean. These are pale little lake fish fillets which look like tilapia, but are actually salmon.

It turned out fine, but I have some work to do on the dish. Also, I'd like to try it on a much more attractive sockeye salmon fillet. It was more difficult to make attractive, so naturally I reused the rosemary sprig.





And last, but not least, a feta spinach salad with a homemade vinaigrette.

Or...at least that's what I would have liked it to be. In reality, it was actually a can of green beans.




Yup. There they are. Not even french cut. Told you I was frumpy!

Still, all in all, an enjoyable evening in the kitchen.



No comments:

Post a Comment